Currently showing business contract hire prices Switch to Personal
01995 641111

Total Care FAQ

What is Total Care?

UK Carline are introducing a new product to provide you with a comprehensively covered Contract Hire vehicle.

What services are provided under Total Care?

  • A business or personal contract hire vehicle
  • Comprehensive cover, including third party liability and own damage protection (including fire and theft)
  • Glass damage protection
  • Maintenance cover - all manufacturer's recommended servicing, any MOTs, replacement tyres, parts & labour.
  • Breakdown cover - fix your car or recover it, and if necessary provide a replacement vehicle
  • Accident management - management of your incident from start to finish

Please note, Total Care does not include cover for personal injury or belongings

Who provides cover for my vehicle?

Third party liability cover for your vehicle is provided by Greenval, Own damage protection cover is provided by Arval.

What is own damage protection?

Own damage protection will cover repairing any damage to your vehicle resulting from an incident. You will not be responsible for the costs, but you will be responsible to pay the Customer Incident Charge (explained below). Own damage protection does not include routine maintenance (again, explained below). Own damage protection will not protect you against damage caused or resulting from driver abuse or neglect. If any damage is caused by the fault of a third party, then costs will be recovered directly from them.

Who is allowed to drive my vehicle?

Business users: any employee of your company and their spouse or partner.

Personal users: the driver and their spouse or partner.

There are restrictions and exclusions, such as in relation to age, driver history (including medical) and use of the vehicle.

What is an incident?

Incident means an event or accident resulting in damage, loss or theft of the Total Care vehicle or damage to third party property or personal injury/death of a third party.

I've had an accident, what do I do?

You must contact Arval at the earliest opportunity and make sure that it is safe and legal to do so. Our Accident Management partner will record the relevant details and either get your vehicle recovered if it is immobile, or allocate a repairer.

Will I have to make any payments?

Yes. In the event of an incident where it is considered that you are "at fault", you will be required to pay the Customer Incident Charge (CIC). The CIC varies depending on the number of "at fault" incidents for the vehicle.

There is an escalating CIC dependent on the number of "at fault" incidents incurred during the contract term. This is designed to be fair to you where you have a few incidents during the contract. However, it is necessary to levy a higher incident charge when there have been a high number of incidents during the contract term. The CIC is a contribution to the losses incurred as a result of the incident. If the loss is less than the CIC, then you will only be charged the loss.

The incidents only count towards the escalating CIC if the full CIC has been invoiced to you. If you request, you can elect to pay a reimbursement of our losses rather than the CIC. This is called a Customer Elected Payment (CEP). The CIC is only charged where you are considered to be at fault, including where you have damaged your vehicle or caused damage to a third party. If an identified third party is at fault, monies will be recovered from them. The escalating CIC will apply to all "at fault" incidents unless you opt to pay for our losses as explained below. Once the 3rd at fault incident CIC occurs, the same level of CIC will apply to all future "at fault" incidents.

Example of Incident Costs 1st at fault incident - £250 CIC 2nd at fault incident* - £350 CIC 3rd at fault incident* - £750 CIC
£100 £100 £100 £100
£300 £250 £300 £300
£500 £250 £350 £500
£1,000 £250 £350 £750

*Assuming you have been charged the previous tier CIC for a previous incident

Is the fee for Total Care fixed for the contract term?

Yes. Your monthly rentals will only change if we mutually agree to a change (if applicable) or as a result of Arval exercising its rights under the contract, for example if you travel materially more miles than agreed and the vehicle is recontracted, or if the vehicle is involved in two or more at fault incidents in a 12 month period - in which case we will discuss our options with you.

What is glass protection?

Arval are responsible for the repairing and replacing body glass to your vehicle. You must report the damage and the repair will be arranged. You will be required to pay a per incident charge which is fixed at £50 per incident where it is necessary to replace the glass. No CIC applies where the glass is repaired.

The glass CIC does not count towards the escalating CIC for incidents.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to an incident?

If the repairer has a courtesy vehicle available, subject to their conditions, and the insurance cover costs and/or any administration fee must be paid directly to the repairer by you.

If you would like a separate rental vehicle, We can assist in booking this and the cost of the vehicle including the collision damage waiver insurance provided by the rental company must be covered by you.

The rental agreement will be between you and the renal company. For your convenience, we will invoice you for the costs or charges so that you do not need to set up an account directly with the rental company.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to a mechanical failure/maintenance work?

If the repairer has a courtesy vehicle available, subject to their conditions, and the insurance cover costs and/or any administration fee must be paid directly to the repairer by you.

If you have broken down, and the vehicle is not repairable at the roadside, then the recovery agent can provide a rental vehicle for 48 hours to you as part of the breakdown scheme.

What happens if my vehicle is deemed a total loss as a result of an incident?

The lease will be terminated as soon as our assessors have confirmed the vehicle is not economic to repair. At this point, if you were considered "at fault", you will be invoiced the CIC due to you. Your liability for the monthly rental will cease at this point.

If there is a third party at fault, costs will be recovered from the third party's insurers. If the losses are not recoverable due to any act or omission by you/your driver, all rights are reserved to invoice any losses to you.

What happens if my vehicle is stolen?

You must notify the Police and Arval (quoting your crime reference number) within 24 hours. The Accident Management provider will monitor the progress directly with the police. After 21 days if the vehicle hasn't been recovered, or has been recovered but deemed a total loss, then the vehicle lease will be terminated and you monthly rental liability will case for any future rentals.At this point you will be invoiced any relevant CIC.

If there has been an act, omission or negligence by you or your driver which contributed to or resulted in the theft of the vehicle (such as the keys being left in the vehicle), then the termination costs will be borne by you. If at a later point the vehicle is recovered and sold or any monies are received, these will be credited back to you up to the value of the charge you received.

If the vehicle is deemed stolen and not recovered or a total loss, what other liabilities do I have other than the monthly rental?

You could be levied a maintenance charge if the vehicle is running over its contract.

Early Termination

Should you wish to return the Contract Hire vehicle before the end of the contract, please contact us and we will discuss the process and final implications. You will be liable to make a payment in accordance to your agreement.

What is included in the maintenance cover?

All routine work that is due to occur during the contract term, based on manufacturer guidelines. This will include servicing, maintenance, repairs, premium tyres (except in the event of abuse, neglect, theft or vandalism), batteries, breakdown cover, exhaust and any worn items.

This maintenance scheme does not cover driver abuse items, damage or replacement as a result of neglect. These charges will be billed via a vehicle services invoice.

What do I do if I want to take my vehicle overseas?

You will need to get in touch at least 14 days in advance of travel and provide details of your travel destination and dates and details of drivers and any additional drivers. You will be provided with a Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE103) to replace the registration document. This is a legal requirement. A standard fee of £15 + VAT applies for this document. An insurance certificate confirming that the vehicle is insured to be taken out of the country for the period of travel will be provided.

If you still have a valid VE103 from a previous trip, you will still need to contact to get a new insurance certificate.

If you have been unreasonable delayed in your return and your insurance certificate is due to expire, you will need to get in touch to extend the cover, and a new insurance certificate will be issued. It will be your responsibility to print this document and retain it in the vehicle.

Are my personal belongings covered?

No. Arval are providing contract hire on an insured vehicle, therefore Arval is the policy holder. This policy cannot be extended to cover personal belongings.

Is personal injury covered?

No. Personal injury cover is not provided for the driver, however any Third Party passengers would be included within the Third Party liability cover.

Are there any restrictions on who can drive the vehicle or have the product?

Yes. The eligibility criteria and restrictions are detailed in a schedule on your contract. It is important you understand what this criteria is and that you comply with the criteria at all times as you could invalidate the insurance for the vehicle if you do not. Should these change or be updated at any time, a new copy will be sent out to you.

Do I build up a no claims bonus?

There isn't a traditional build up of no claims bonus. However, you would be provided with an official letter at the end of the lease to confirm the number of years claim free for the driver which can be provided to a new insurer as evidence along with any previous evidence of no claims the driver holds. This is accepted by many major insurers.

Partners Banner 1